Wednesday 16 May 2012

Thanks for coming back!

Well here we are. If you're reading this than I've managed to reel you in with that first post and hopefully you're going to stick around until I jump the shark at least(TV reference. Don't worry if you don't get it. I don't judge.... much).

I was hoping to have a bit of a more substantial second post but I've been feeling like quite the piece of shit the past few days so I'm going to throw what I've got done up here for now to whet everybody's insatiable appetites(sarcasm will be a recurring theme as well).

My first order of business in trying to make it in the brightly colored world of film and TV is to find a place to learn what I needs learnin'. This is going to be the biggest challenge I'm going to have to overcome because it involves overcoming a whole bunch of giant little hurdles. These hurdles are as follows in no particular order:

1)I really need to be able to work in some capacity while I'm learning all these things. I haven't always been the wisest with my money and unfortunately I've racked up quite the tab over the years. Now I've asked extremely nicely if they would mind just making this stuff go away but apparently the banks don't work like that. Go figure. Now, I have learned from those mistakes and am working very diligently(albeit boringly) to pay this stuff off but they are still there regardless. I could always wait until I get everything paid off in full but I don't honestly want to wait that long. So I need to be able to go to college/university somewhere where I can also work at a decent job.

2)I need to be able to get in. I feel like some of the better film and video schools don't go letting everybody in just because they say they like watching movies.
 "I loves dem Transformers movies luh. 'specially da parts where dey blows shit up. Aww man das sick. lemme go to school here b'y" - any skeet at the mall.
Now I love transformers, but I also know that Michael Bay is a raging douche-bag who loves messing up my favorite childhood things. Having said that though, I probably have as much film and video experience on my resume as our skeety friend there. So I need to find something that I don't need much experience with. Possibly something where I need to interview to get in. I feel like I could state my cause well enough. Or I need to immerse myself into this business someway or another and get some damn experience(will have another post dealing with this soon).

3)I would ideally like to find a course in the 3-4 year range to complete. Now I'm well aware that getting into the business isn't as easy as going to school and then you're in. Done deal. I'm directing Avengers 3: The Black Widows Booty. I know that there is going to be some degree of working my way up through the ranks after school which I'm perfectly fine with. I feel comfortable enough that as long as I can get the basics beaten into my skull by some mediocre - amazing teacher, I can make my way to where I would want to be after that.


So keeping these things in mind I'm going to post on here the colleges and universities that I'm considering pursuing for this. I was going to devote a full post to this and list them all but I will remind everybody of the coughing and the sneezing and not really wanting to type anything that I mentioned earlier. I will throw one on here with it's pros and cons so it will seem like I haven't completely wasted your time and will tackle others in another post or two in the near future.

Once again, any help and suggestions dealing with this stuff will be greatly appreciated people!


CONA(or for those of you who aren't up on the kids lingo, College of the North Atlantic)
They offer a program covering film and video production based out of their Bay St. George Campus.

A positive about this one is that it's on the quicker side. Only being a two year course is a huge bonus. CONA is also probably going to be one of the cheaper options I'll end up finding as well.

Another positive is it's location. I would have to move to Stephenville to do it but I don't have to leave the island. This will help with the initial moving cost and I won't be so far away from home that getting back for a weekend or something isn't out of the question without breaking the bank.

The negative about this one is that it's on the quicker side. Being done in only two years makes me wonder what kind of credibility I'll have coming out of that program. I'm also a little concerned that this program would focus more on the technical aspects of film making much more then the artistic/creative parts. I'd like something that has an even mix of both.

Another negative for this is where it's to. Who the hell actually wants to live in Stephenville? And what kind of a job could I get while I'm living there? I do want to be able to work but I feel like the job opportunities that could revolve around school with a decent wage would be limited. But I have never lived in Stephenville so I can't say for sure. That's what this blog is for after all.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Days!! And Arrested Development!! Henry Winkler, in both cases, jumped over a shark.

    What do I win?!?!

    ReplyDelete