Monday 25 June 2012

We Need To Talk About Django

There are two movies coming out this year that I am incredibly excited for.

#1) Dark Knight Rises
#2) Django Unchained

Now I don't need to tell anyone about the Dark Knight Rises. Even if you're not a fan of one of the best, if not the best, comic book movies ever made, you still know that this movie exists. You probably even know what it's about. You or someone you know has seen the masterpiece that is The Dark Knight. There's no way you've gone online, or turned on the TV, or watched a movie in theatres and not seen a trailer or some kind of media for this juggernaut of a film.

I'm beyond pumped. I've got my ticket for the midnight showing July 19th. You should too. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Now my #2 is a different story here. And don't take the fact that I listed it as #2 as any kind of sign that I'm more excited for DKR. It's just coming out first. A month before Django comes out on Dec 25th I'm going to be incredibly stoked for this movie as well. I won't even care about Christmas. In fact, fuck Christmas. This year I'm celebrating the return of Tarantino. Everybody's getting a Tarantino film and a gift certificate for a foot massage as a gift.

I don't feel like there are as many people in the same boat for this movie as I am though.

Now I don't expect there to be the same level of recognition for this movie as there is for DKR. While Tarantino's name is probably more well known than Nolan's, his movies don't demand the same box office charm that a blockbuster such as Batman does. It's not fair but it's true. Tarantino is a genius and a machine of a man when it comes to writing and directing(he's also pretty damn weird), but his subject matter is a little more R-rated than your typical blockbusters and that ultimately hinders their financial success(which in the end, is how almost everything is measured unfortunately).

This movie is no different. Based in the years before the civil war this movie is going to be full of racial issues,  gratuitous violence, sexy women and have a ridiculous rate of utterance of the word "fuck".

Also, I've heard Tarantino's films being described as sometimes boring and "wordy". Another fair assessment as his films usually do involve extended scenes of dialogue between characters with little action in between. Definitely not as much of a spectacle as The Avengers was. From what I know about Tarantino's work and what I've seen in the trailer I would expect this one to be no different.

So why should you get excited for Django(the D is silent)? Well here's 3 reasons I believe you should. The same reasons I am.

*Oh and for those who are not fully up to date. This link provides a full synopsis of the film. I ain't typing all that shit in here*


#1) The Trailer


Watch it. Enjoy.


"I like the way you die boy." I love it!

#2) The Legend


This is a no-brainer. Tarantino is a movie god. Whether you like his work or not you need to be living under a rock and be happy to stay there if you don't give credit to his filmography, which would make any writer/director green with envy.

To start your career by writing and directing the cult hit Reservoir Dogs is hitting the ground running. That movie has all of his trademark film-making skills on full display and they have lived on, and flourished, through his other films.

Anything with the "Written and Directed by Quentin Tarantino" tag gets thrown into instant movie history even if it's not a box office success. It's no wonder that my least favourite from him is the one he didn't write(Jackie Brown).

#3) Calvin Candie


Who?


Yeah, that's who.

Leonardo DiCaprio is without a doubt one of the best actors alive today. I don't need to list the great movies he's starred in recently. But one thing that is missing from his acting career is a role as a good villain.

In Django, Leo is playing one of the main antagonists of the film, slave owner Calvin Candie. From the quick scenes shown of him in the trailer I'm already backing the theory that this may be one of my favourite roles that DiCaprio has done. It's definitely going to be his most over-the-top charismatic. Tell me from looking at that picture how he can't possibly be perfect as the antagonist in this movie. There's something messed up about the way that he's looking at that hammer. I don't think he's planning on building a porch with that.

With Tarantino's special skill with bringing the best out of his actors, even those he doesn't work with on every other film(Travolta, Pitt and now DiCaprio), and giving them some of the best dialogue and music to work with, this may be one of the most defining aspects of this movie when it's released.



So there you have it. Three simple and solid reasons you should get yourself excited for this movie. Nothing shocking or revolutionary. Just taking the facts and laying them out.

Now I'm well aware that this movie is still 6 months away but I feel the more people I can get excited about this movie the sooner, the better. And between now and then I'll continue to promote this movie as annoyingly as possible through all social networking sites I have access too. I love Tarantino's movies that damn much.

As for you. I would recommend working your way through any of the films under the "Written & Directed" category by Quentin Tarantino. If you haven't seen them yet it's never too late. You'll wake up a better person the next day for doing it. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment